This is an old revision of the document!

BOTLab committee meeting 28 October 2014

  1. Tidy the Space Day
  2. Organising the Bike Space
  3. does anyone know Dave pc case man
  4. Health & Safety including:
    1. Gangways
    2. Adequate operator area for fixed equipment and for associated onlookers
    3. Trailing extension leads near static power tools e.g the lathe & bandsaw
    4. Lack of fire extinguishers. We use flammable solvents near a hot extruder on the 3d printer, and are probably going to use paraffin or white spirit to clean cycle parts near the laser cutter.
  5. Network situation:
    1. Hosting provider - VPS (Barney)
    2. In-space network and server cupboard proposal (Barney and Alaric)

Barney L, Toby Seely, Matt, Nigel C, Jon D, David H, John D, John W, Russell D, Mike H, Toby Scott, Ed R, David W (minute-taker)

Apologies: Jamie Loudon, Richard Sewell, Russell

  • Tidy the Space day:
    • Date to be arranged - before Christmas party ⇒ end November
    • Need to do a tip run, probably - at the weekend it'll be quite busy ⇒ maybe sort things out for someone to take - various people volunteer to help transport stuff to the tip
    • Action: MV will make a Doodle for the date and email the list
    • When: decided to be a weekend daytime rather than evening - one day should do it given that it's fairly tidy at the moment
    • What to do on the day? Make a page on the wiki for members to add
    • Pillar drills: we have 2, DH says one was donated by UWE, the other is TS' - apparently Tarim has a use for one at the Pervasive Media Studios
    • Noted that Richard S and Jamie L offer to remove some of the equipment
  • Bike space organisation:
    • NC originally suggested this - he observed that many hackspace members are interested in bikes, but there isn't really enough space at the moment to do work on it so
    • Equipment: NC's old bike stand, a bench and a vice - existing electronic equipment should suffice?
    • Hand tools: we probably have quite a bit, but we may need to buy some bike-specialist tools - NC estimates £50-£100 outlay
    • JW concerned about use of solvents near laser cutters etc.
    • Members present vote to spend £50 of Hackspace funds on tools - NC to buy tools
    • Extensive discussion about space layout:
      • Space immediately on the right after coming into the room will be turned into metalworking/bike space
      • Storage tower to move to the right of the sink?
      • Machining area towards the far end of the room - wood lathe, bandsaw, grinder etc - facing out into the room with a half-height screen in front of them
  • “Dave the PC case man” query?
    • No-one knows! To be traced otherwise
  • Shall we advertise on Bristol Cable?
    • This is a local newspaper that's just set up - they'll be taking adverts in the next issue
    • Debate about whether we need new members - ~75 members for ~6months, jumped to 84 in Sept - but more members is good!
    • Bike space would be a good draw for people
    • Out of the people here, what do people think? All (13) interested in principle in advertising, but need to know how much - Matt will find out how much and let the list know
  • Health and safety
    • Extension leads behind machines - should be covered hopefully
    • Fire extinguishers:
    • Regulation say you have to have to have an evacuation plan and a way of putting out a fire
    • JW offers to look into fire safety for us
    • MH speaks about gangways: in factories you need to leave a 4'-ish gangway for fire or other safety, whereas in here we don't normally - he is happy to make some recommendations to be reviewed at a future meeting
    • Discussion about how to ensure gangways are available - might
    • Need a first aid kit in both rooms, and a system for replenishing it - RD offers to acquire another first aid kit and replenish the existing one
    • Need a printed set of instructions to describe to the emergency services where we are!
  • Network/hosting provider:
    • BL has arranged for a free VPS from Mythic Beasts
    • DW will arrange to pay XtreamLab for a year from now - in the meantime BL will continue migrating our site to Mythic Beasts
  • Internal networking:
    • BL proposes having an always-on server in the space in a segregated box
  • botlab/openmeeting_20141028.1414527837
  • Last modified: 7 years ago
  • by dwyatt