This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

Both sides previous revision Previous revision
Next revision
Previous revision
Next revision Both sides next revision
botlab:openmeeting_20141028 [2014/10/28 19:29]
botlab:openmeeting_20141028 [2014/10/28 21:12]
dwyatt [Agenda]
Line 4: Line 4:
   - Tidy the Space Day   - Tidy the Space Day
   - Organising the Bike Space   - Organising the Bike Space
-  - does anyone know Dave pc case man+  - Does anyone know Dave the PC case man
 +  - Shall we advertise on Bristol Cable? 
   - Health & Safety including:   - Health & Safety including:
     - Gangways     - Gangways
Line 13: Line 14:
     - Hosting provider - VPS (Barney)     - Hosting provider - VPS (Barney)
     - In-space network and server cupboard proposal (Barney and Alaric)     - In-space network and server cupboard proposal (Barney and Alaric)
 ===== Attendees ===== ===== Attendees =====
-Barney L, Toby S, Matt, Nigel C, Jon D, David H, John D, John W, Russell D, Mike H, Harry, David W (minute-taker)+Barney L, Toby Seely, Matt, Nigel C, Jon D, David H, John D, John W, Russell D, Mike H, Toby Scott, Ed R, David W (minute-taker)
 Apologies: Jamie Loudon, Richard Sewell, Russell  Apologies: Jamie Loudon, Richard Sewell, Russell 
Line 28: Line 28:
     * When: decided to be a weekend daytime rather than evening - one day should do it given that it's fairly tidy at the moment     * When: decided to be a weekend daytime rather than evening - one day should do it given that it's fairly tidy at the moment
     * What to do on the day? Make a page on the wiki for members to add     * What to do on the day? Make a page on the wiki for members to add
 +    * Pillar drills: we have 2, DH says one was donated by UWE, the other is TS' - apparently Tarim has a use for one at the Pervasive Media Studios
 +    * Noted that Richard S and Jamie L offer to remove some of the equipment
 +  * Bike space organisation:
 +    * NC originally suggested this - he observed that many hackspace members are interested in bikes, but there isn't really enough space at the moment to do work on it so 
 +    * Equipment: NC's old bike stand, a bench and a vice - existing electronic equipment should suffice?
 +    * Hand tools: we probably have quite a bit, but we may need to buy some bike-specialist tools - NC estimates £50-£100 outlay
 +    * JW concerned about use of solvents near laser cutters etc.
 +    * Members present vote to spend £50 of Hackspace funds on tools - NC to buy tools
 +  * "Dave the PC case man" query?
 +    * No-one knows! To be traced otherwise
 +  * Shall we advertise on Bristol Cable?
 +    * This is a local newspaper that's just set up - they'll be taking adverts in the next issue
 +    * Debate about whether we need new members - ~75 members for ~6months, jumped to 84 in Sept - but more members is good!
 +    * Bike space would be a good draw for people
 +    * Out of the people here, what do people think? All (13) interested in principle in advertising, but need to know how much - Matt will find out how much and let the list know
 +  * Health and safety
 +    * Extension leads behind machines - should be covered hopefully 
 +    * Fire extinguishers: regulation say you have to have to have an evacuation plan and a way of putting out a fire
 +    * JW offers to look into fire safety for us - MV will speak to building owner first
 +    * MH speaks about gangways: in factories you need to leave a 4'-ish gangway for fire or other safety, whereas in here we don't normally - he is happy to make some recommendations to be reviewed at a future meeting
 +    * Discussion about how to ensure gangways are available - might 
 +    * Need a first aid kit in both rooms, and a system for replenishing it - RD offers to acquire another first aid kit and replenish the existing one
 +    * Need a printed set of instructions to describe to the emergency services where we are!
 +  * Network/hosting provider:
 +    * BL has arranged for a free VPS from Mythic Beasts
 +    * DW will arrange to pay XtreamLab for a year from now - in the meantime BL will continue migrating our site to Mythic Beasts
 +  * Internal networking:
 +    * BL proposes having an always-on server in the space in a segregated box - partly so it doesn't get turned off all the time!
 +    * Also for e.g. the switch, so we could run network points around the room...
 +    * JD offers a wall-mount rack - will bring it down on Thursday and/or send measurements/photo
 +    * BL has also been thinking about having our own internet connection like a domestic ADSL - probably needs building manager's permission => MV to ask how he feels
 +  * AOB
 +    * Christmas Party: noted that a flagon of mead is already on the go! Post space-tidying meeting. Therefore, let's say Thursady 18 December. MV will publicise.
 +    * Sockets on the wall in G10: all in favour in principle, cost £345.60 for the last batch of sockets - MV suggests also asking for a 25A breaker somewhere, but JW suggests it will be machine-dependent. Discussion about whether we need to do this now - conclusion that we won't do this now.
 +    * Space organisation:
 +      * Space immediately on the right after coming into the room will be turned into metalworking/bike space
 +      * Storage tower to move to the right of the sink?
 +      * Machining area towards the far end of the room - wood lathe, bandsaw, grinder etc - facing out into the room with a half-height screen in front of them
 +      * Replace one of the wooden benches with a Dyson bench
 +      * Lasercutter extraction: Nic is working on this but is on holiday at the moment - all the parts are here, but no need for a working party as yet. Lasercutter staying where it is
 +      * Good to put up shelves everywhere we can!
 +      * Projector screen - in front of some of the shelves
 +      * How to organise doing this? Email list, another meeting, wiki page? Probably start on the tidy-the-space day and see how far we go...
 +    * Buying tools... DH proposes and will look into it
 +    * TScott offers to upgrade the Hackspace PC to Ubuntu
  • botlab/openmeeting_20141028
  • Last modified: 7 years ago
  • by dwyatt