Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

Next revision
Previous revision
Last revision Both sides next revision
botlab:openmeeting_20140408 [2014/04/16 20:24]
patrick created
botlab:openmeeting_20140408 [2014/04/24 08:10]
dwyatt [Topics discussed]
Line 22: Line 22:
 ===== Topics discussed ===== ===== Topics discussed =====
  
-  * **AGM:** DW clarified situation with AGM timing+  * **AGM:** DW clarified situation with regards to the BOTLab AGM. Last year's AGM was on 16 April 2013, and according to our constitution this year's must be held within 6 weeks of the date of last year's. DW is currently investigating options for preparing Hackspace annual accounts for submission to Companies House; once this has been done, they can be approved at the AGM.
   * **Electing a new committee at the AGM:**    * **Electing a new committee at the AGM:** 
-    * DW and DH clarified the existing system ?TODO - no aversion to increasing size of committee+    * DW and DH clarified the existing system: BOTLab members vote for and against each candidate, who is elected if #for > #against. This has no mechanism for regulating committee size except by limiting #candidates. Every year 1/3 of committee must step down for re-election. No aversion to increasing size of committee...
     * Concerns: system that we have favours incumbents, need to give new people a chance     * Concerns: system that we have favours incumbents, need to give new people a chance
     * TG: people need to understand that elections are happening and people can join the committee     * TG: people need to understand that elections are happening and people can join the committee
Line 33: Line 33:
     * 2 posts will be available at next AGM     * 2 posts will be available at next AGM
     * => publicise better in advance of next AGM?     * => publicise better in advance of next AGM?
-    * DH: Hackspace has many members who take part in running of the space/organisation without being on the committee - role of the committee is solely a way of formalising the decision-making process - => associates not really needed as yet, except for admin! => before the AGM, committee to discuss and publicise admin roles +    * DH: Hackspace has many members who take part in running of the space/organisation without being on the committee - role of the committee is solely a way of formalising the decision-making process - => associates not really needed as yet, except for admin! => before the AGM, committee to discuss and publicise admin roles - **ACTION** 
-    * Committee also has a role for ensuring things are done - e.g. random emails from 3rd parties - committee has a role in filtering this+    * Committee also has a role for ensuring things are done - e.g. random emails from 3rd parties - could just be passed on to mailing list, but committee should filter
     * DH: perhaps there is a role for associates in taking a greater part in e.g. responding to incoming requests - "if anybody *wants* to have access to this list..." as an opt-in     * DH: perhaps there is a role for associates in taking a greater part in e.g. responding to incoming requests - "if anybody *wants* to have access to this list..." as an opt-in
     * Returning to discussion of mechanism: use counting of votes for and against, and choose people with strongest majority? but what if we have multiple unanimous votes?; people apply to specific roles? DH: important to be clear to everyone at the start of the meeting what the system is, e.g. there will be 5 committee members at the end of the meeting and votes count accordingly?      * Returning to discussion of mechanism: use counting of votes for and against, and choose people with strongest majority? but what if we have multiple unanimous votes?; people apply to specific roles? DH: important to be clear to everyone at the start of the meeting what the system is, e.g. there will be 5 committee members at the end of the meeting and votes count accordingly? 
Line 40: Line 40:
     * TG: start by saying you have to be at the AGM to vote? With some proxy system to allow for input from people who are unable to attend?     * TG: start by saying you have to be at the AGM to vote? With some proxy system to allow for input from people who are unable to attend?
     * TG: if we have too many candidates, get them all to cast lots for places? Only problem is if there is 1 person noone wants to work with...      * TG: if we have too many candidates, get them all to cast lots for places? Only problem is if there is 1 person noone wants to work with... 
-    * General consensus on TG's proposal!+    * **Decision:** General consensus on TG's proposal!
   *  Destination of donated electronic components (bequeathed to Marcus Valentine who donated them to the Hackspace)   *  Destination of donated electronic components (bequeathed to Marcus Valentine who donated them to the Hackspace)
     * TG: has been sorting them - proposes sorting them, picking out a quantity that we could conceiveably use (of the useful ones) and sending others to other hackspaces     * TG: has been sorting them - proposes sorting them, picking out a quantity that we could conceiveably use (of the useful ones) and sending others to other hackspaces
     * RD: improvement: before distributing them, make the unwanted ones available to hackspace members if they want for >=1week     * RD: improvement: before distributing them, make the unwanted ones available to hackspace members if they want for >=1week
     * RD: split up big boxes of resistors first into smaller quantities? but that's a lot of work. Or just keep them in stock if they aren't going to go off?      * RD: split up big boxes of resistors first into smaller quantities? but that's a lot of work. Or just keep them in stock if they aren't going to go off? 
-    * First job is to stock-take so we know what we have+    * First job is to stock-take so we know what we have
     * Problems with sending to other spaces: don't know if they want them, and have to pay the postage? (get people to come and pick up their own stuff!)     * Problems with sending to other spaces: don't know if they want them, and have to pay the postage? (get people to come and pick up their own stuff!)
     * TG: happy to sort the ICs, wants 1% resistors kept, not going to do it all! RD will help - make a spreadsheet with all items     * TG: happy to sort the ICs, wants 1% resistors kept, not going to do it all! RD will help - make a spreadsheet with all items
Line 53: Line 53:
     * TG: what do we do with other donations? do we accept them, what happens?      * TG: what do we do with other donations? do we accept them, what happens? 
     * RD: what if equipment with value turns up? Would be a shame if it was just dumped...     * RD: what if equipment with value turns up? Would be a shame if it was just dumped...
-    * Have just instituted [http://bristol.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/doku.php/3boxsystem 3 bin system] - gives people 3 weeks to express interest. Is 3 weeks long enough? Esp. if we get a big donation that fills the bins? +    * Have just instituted [[:3boxsystem 3 bin system]] - gives people 3 weeks to express interest. Is 3 weeks long enough? Esp. if we get a big donation that fills the bins? 
     * PN: still in beta, will see how it works and adjust accordingly!     * PN: still in beta, will see how it works and adjust accordingly!
-    * TG: what if companies tried to use us as a dumping ground? ?TODO+    * TG: what if companies tried to use us as a dumping ground? Hasn't really been a problem in the past and we do have a fairly clear policy on what we accept e.g. no CRTs!
   * Use of extra space in G10/G11   * Use of extra space in G10/G11
     * DH: storage boxes for members - e.g. Really Useful Boxes (strongly suggest that people use those, because they stack) - or just *require* people to use specific box     * DH: storage boxes for members - e.g. Really Useful Boxes (strongly suggest that people use those, because they stack) - or just *require* people to use specific box
Line 61: Line 61:
     * Shelving - should we spend money on it? Tarim: has sorted it - we have the frame parts, all we need is wood for the shelves...      * Shelving - should we spend money on it? Tarim: has sorted it - we have the frame parts, all we need is wood for the shelves... 
     * Buy in a stack of boxes and let members pay for it? Matt V has already bought in some boxes - but maybe invest in a good system for the future. Filing cabinets as a better use of space? Not necessarily for members' personal storage     * Buy in a stack of boxes and let members pay for it? Matt V has already bought in some boxes - but maybe invest in a good system for the future. Filing cabinets as a better use of space? Not necessarily for members' personal storage
-    * Size of boxes: e.g. RUB 35l & half that height - ~£5 and ~£10 +    * Size of boxes: e.g. [[http://www.reallyusefulstorageboxes.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=12529639|RUB 35l]] [[http://www.reallyusefulstorageboxes.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=12452493|18l half that height]] - ~£5 and ~£10 
-    * => DH to put a proposal to the mailing list+    * => **ACTION**: DH to put a proposal to the mailing list
   * Additional equipment required?   * Additional equipment required?
     * (storage - see above)     * (storage - see above)
Line 69: Line 69:
     * TG: surface-mount soldering equipment? We have a hot-air rework station and Ian's toaster oven, but something a bit more professional? Nudge Ian to provide instructions on use of his oven?     * TG: surface-mount soldering equipment? We have a hot-air rework station and Ian's toaster oven, but something a bit more professional? Nudge Ian to provide instructions on use of his oven?
     * DH: hand tools? good screwdrivers etc., tinsnips     * DH: hand tools? good screwdrivers etc., tinsnips
-    * DH: ask the mailing list! DW to organise+    * DH: ask the mailing list! **ACTION:** DW to organise
     * RD: MarkForged carbon-fibre 3d printer?! $5000, shipping in "second half of 2014"? Tarim: suggest to Knowle West Media Centre as they have big funding...     * RD: MarkForged carbon-fibre 3d printer?! $5000, shipping in "second half of 2014"? Tarim: suggest to Knowle West Media Centre as they have big funding...
   * BV Open Studios   * BV Open Studios
     * Tarim: Happening at end of May - Weekend of 31 May/1 June     * Tarim: Happening at end of May - Weekend of 31 May/1 June
     * Good opportunity to show our work off     * Good opportunity to show our work off
-    * PN: make some flier to distribute? Barney made some for the Maker Faire+    * PN: make some fliers to distribute? Barney made some for the Maker Faire
  • botlab/openmeeting_20140408
  • Last modified: 8 years ago
  • by dwyatt