BOTLab C.I.C. Directors' Meeting 14/09/2021

  • Alex
  • Felix
  • Nick
  • None
  • The forum, again…
  • sharpening system
  • air lines
  • From Duncan
    • would like extinguishers in laser room
    • update on fire safety of 3d printer
    • car parking - some members still parking on forecourt. will become a problem for the other tenants
  • AR - Metal lathe
    • constructive discussion held on open night 2021/09/02 (Ryan, Alex, Felix, Marsh, Sam):
    • membership have paid for lathe, and have been locked out of it for nearly 3 years. desire to be as permissive as possible, without a free for all leading to a safety incident
    • propose some sort of self-certification i.e. people who already have experience using a lathe can declare this to the board, and get a padlock code
    • the hope is that this will build a small body of members actively using it. This body of members can then create an induction
    • pathway to general usage:
      • Current status - not in use, but ready to use (accepting that improvements can be made, but the machine is functional)
      • usage by people with experience only (unfair as novices are barred)
      • keen beans create bare-minimum, safety only induction
        • this is how not to die, now teach yourself the rest
        • this opens up usage to all
      • full “training” induction
        • this lowers the barrier to usage
  • AR - Is 5 the most appropriate number of board members?
    • lots more work as we have grown as an organisation. Perhaps we should expand the board
  • AR - Central heating
  • Complaints - [details redacted for privacy]
    • Complaints against multiple people r.e. forum use
    • Complaints upheld - breaking rule “be excellent to each other”
    • Discussion lead to agreement on the following responses:
      • Members who have already received a warning email will have their posts set to moderated for between 1 week and 1 month, depending on the quantity and severity of their transgression
      • Members not already warned will receive a warning email
  • Proposals
    • Sharpener
      • Passed
    • Air line
      • Passed
  • Fire Extinguishers
    • Out of date, Felix to buy them
    • no proposal necessary as they are required safety equipment
  • 3d printer fire safety query
    • On review of technical docs:
      • All relevant parts are CE marked
      • Thermal runaway protection is included
  • Metal Lathe:
    • Members who wish to use the lathe whilst there is no induction in place must be able to justify their competence in writing to the directors
      • e.g. “I am a machinist, using lathes professionally” “I was trained at university and have made…..”
    • Alex to create framework around this, to be announced at AGM
    • Pathway
      • Let experienced members use the lathe - encouraging them to create a “minimum viable induction”
        • Minimum induction must be safety, considerate use, how to make the most basic cut
        • This can be offered to general membership
      • Full “training” induction doesn't need to exist - 3D printer and CNC mill both require prior knowledge. Focus is safety and considerate use
  • Agreed to raise board size to 7 directors, with named positions:
    • Treasurer
    • Membership
    • Facilities and Infrastructure
    • Health and Safety
    • Community
    • Webmaster
    • Secretary
  • Gas heating
    • If we change the pipes, everything might need recertifying (according to Felix)
    • Nick will check with Duncan and liaise with Chino
    • Would need to be authorized at a meeting
  • AOB:
    • Nick - Meetings tweak
      • If we can't get quorate or have nothing important to vote on, we should just make them members meetings, not general meetings
      • Felix, lets make the meetings a bit more social
      • Only required for constitution and t/cs, changes to proposals process.
      • Every other month, we have a nice friendly social meeting
        • If we need to vote on something quorally, we hold a general meeting
          • Hopefully this makes them more approachable
      • Plan agreed
    • Cargo bike
      • Concern that it is a liability risk
      • Lets get ryan to address this as part of any proposal
      • Want to encourage community projects like this
    • AGM
      • Date Agreed - Sunday 10th of october - afternoon
    • Proposal system
      • Needs updating
      • To be brought to a general meeting (not agm)
      • Lets have a good think about this
  • FH - Write a post explaining action we're taking about the forum complaints
    • Reminder about be excellent
  • Alex - email the people complained about
  • AR - Buy the sharpener! - complete,ordered 15/09/2021
  • Fire extinguishers - Felix will buy as required
  • Alex to text Duncan re fire safety - complete, discussed in person 16/09/2021
  • Alex to create sign about parking and post on google group from hackspace account
    • Ask Duncan to email nick if anyone is parking on the reg - complete, discussed in person 16/09/2021
  • Alex to create formalised framework of competence required, to be announced at the AGM
    • Buy code lock and send code to russ, jonny, directors
  • Alex to email Ryan r.e. cargo bike - complete, discussed in person 16/09/2021
  • Nick g to talk to Duncan re heating (does the system need recertifying) and liaise with chino
  • Nick to create AGM announcement
  • botlab/meeting_20210000
  • Last modified: 4 weeks ago
  • by alexrowe