This is an old revision of the document!

BOTLab committee meeting 7 June 2016

Date/time and location: 7pm, 7/6/2016 at the Hackspace

Committee meeting to discuss policy towards children in the hackspace.

  • David W, David H, Toby S, Russell D, Ian S.
  • Apologies from Toby S, Arthur A
  • Three areas to be discussed: Child protection, Health and safety, Insurance. See later for notes on each of these.
  • Children protection
    • Definition of child: 18 years old (From UN, NSPCC, HM Govt UK)
    • Child protection is not an issue UNLESS it's in loco parentis, and even then personal, non-commercial arrangements are excluded.
    • While responsibility for a child may have been given by parent/guardian to a third party, this CANNOT be devolved to others.
    • Hackspace is an adult environment
    • If a parent/guardian hackspace member wants to bring in their child, that's fine.
    • Parents who leave their child in the care of a third party in the hackspace, the parent MUST be made aware that the hackspace is a public environment not a regulated activity, ie there is no supervisory role, no one is CRB/DBS checked.

Child protection at the hackspace, David Wyatt, 7 June 2016

Generally NSPCC website is quite good - Preventing Abuse → Child Protection in the UK → …in England They offer consultancy on child protection Possibly able to get advice from Citizens' Advice Bureau?

Generally everything is about people who work with children, either as employees or volunteers.

Definition of a child: 18 years old From UN Conv on Rights of the Child unless majority attained earlier In UK, for child protection, a child is anyone under 18 Source: NSPCC Legal Definitions → HM Govt (2015) Working Together to safeguard children, Appendix A: Glossary

Reference points:

HSE on Work experience: (again via NSPCC) Dept for Ed “Post-16 work experience as part of 16 to 19 study programmes and traineeships” says refer to HSE, “employer” has responsibility for H&S and should assess risks to under-18s. Voluntary organisations with only Public Liability Insurance would need “temporary Employer Liability Compulsory Insurance”. Providers no longer required to do enhanced DBS checks [not sure about ordinary DBS checks!]. HSE has a whole section on website about “young people” - covering work and work experience DBS checks for eligible volunteers are free

Wiltshire Council, Guidance info to be considered for a child protection policy suitable for sports clubs/holiday clubs (seems to be common across different areas) - again, takes the viewpoint of “staff” providing childcare and sets out procedures accordingly. Need a child protection policy, it seems! E.g. British Judo has one. See (NSPCC Child Protection in Sport Unit)

DBS checks and supervising: Regulated Activity in relation to Children: Scope Key concept is “regulated activity” - this is when you need a DBS check (?), or rather is something that a barred person must not do. Also key concept is “specified place” - everyone paid there must have a DBS check (?) In general: i. “teach, train, instruct, care for or supervise children, or provide advice/guidance on well-being, or drive a vehicle only for children” ii. “work for a limited range of establishments with opportunity for contact: e.g. schools, children's homes, childcare premises. Not work for supervised volunteers;” iii. personal/health care iv. registered childminding and foster carers i, ii only if done “regularly”. Specifically, Teaching/training/instruction carried out by same person frequently (once a week/4 days per 30 days/overnight) “Regulated activity still excludes family arrangements; and personal, non-commercial arrangements.”

But: someone in “RA” can “supervise” someone who is then not in RA (and thus does not need a DBS check?). Supervision must be “regular” and “reasonable in the circumstances”. “peer exemption” in above.

NSPCC advises babysitters should be at least 16!

  • botlab/meeting_20160607.1465326978
  • Last modified: 6 years ago
  • by ginjaian