Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

Both sides previous revision Previous revision
botlab:openmeeting_20190910 [2019/09/17 21:15]
russell
botlab:openmeeting_20190910 [2019/09/18 12:52] (current)
russell Padding out notes taken in meeting.
Line 1: Line 1:
-====== BOTLab members'​ meeting ​10 September 2019  ======+====== BOTLab members'​ meeting ​17th September 2019  ======
 **Date/time and location:** 7pm, Tuesday 10th September 2019 at the Hackspace **Date/time and location:** 7pm, Tuesday 10th September 2019 at the Hackspace
 **Adjourned to 7.30pm as not quorate** **Adjourned to 7.30pm as not quorate**
 **Adjourned to 7pm, Tuesday 17th September at the Hackspace** **Adjourned to 7pm, Tuesday 17th September at the Hackspace**
 +**Adjourned to 7.30pm as not quorate**
  
 ===== Agenda ===== ===== Agenda =====
Line 26: Line 27:
 ===== Topics discussed ===== ===== Topics discussed =====
 ==== Directors'​ report ==== ==== Directors'​ report ====
-Locks on glass door changed. \\ +Locks on glass door have been changed ​to keep up with insurance and security requirements. \\ 
-DON'T MESS WITH THEM.\\ +Members reminded ​DON'T MESS WITH THE DOOR AND LOCKS.\\ 
-PAT testing coming up. \\ +PAT testing coming up. This is routine testing of all equipment so not up for voting etc. Using the same service as last time.\\ 
-NG given up membership roles, Ryan and Felix taken this over. \\+Nick G given up membership roles, Ryan and Felix taken this over. \\
  
-Key access: Backlog being dealt with \\+Key access: Backlog ​currently ​being dealt with and keys recently issued.\\
 Website: Process for obtaining a key changed, password protected. Hackspace taken more of the process to take the strain off Robert. \\ Website: Process for obtaining a key changed, password protected. Hackspace taken more of the process to take the strain off Robert. \\
  
-Nic G: Chased up 25 outstanding membership payments. 5 cancelled formally 16 memberships terminated. Remaining 4 set up new payments. \\+Nic G: Chased up 25 outstanding membership payments. 5 members ​cancelled formally16 memberships terminated ​as payment outstanding. Remaining 4 members ​set up new payments. \\
    
 ==== Incident review ==== ==== Incident review ====
 No new incidents in book. \\ No new incidents in book. \\
-Dust build-up dealt with by purchasing a new dust filter. ​ \\ +Dust build-up ​in G10 dealt with by purchasing a new dust filter. ​ \\ 
-Door lock / building security is members responsibility. \\ +Suggestion that members are not using dust extraction properly. \\ 
-Members leaving projects out. See below. \\ +Reminder that door lock / building security is members responsibility. \\ 
-Trips going in G10. \\+Members ​have been leaving projects out. See main topic below. \\ 
 +Trips have been randomly ​going off in G10. This will be monitored. \\
  
 ==== Complaints review ==== ==== Complaints review ====
-Missing art work. Contacted ​by former member. Very unclear about what is being asked. Doing best to placate the situation.  +Missing art work: HS was contacted ​by former member. Very unclear about what is being asked. Doing best to placate the situation.  
-Same person is claiming back abandoned equipment. ​\\ +Same person is claiming back abandoned equipment. ​As with the artwork claim this is difficult ​to address however doing best to placate the situation. \\
- +
-==== PAT Testing ==== +
-We've had a reminder that the PAT testing carried out a year ago has expired.\\ +
-Mark Hogg (trading electrician,​ qualified, insured etc) who is local and very reasonably priced is willing ​to do it again for us. \\ +
-NOTE: He has previously quoted for ring main work if this crops up as part of G10 router discussions. \\+
  
 ==== Proposals review ==== ==== Proposals review ====
  
 === Proposal to sell the metal lathe === === Proposal to sell the metal lathe ===
-As the metal lathe has been in the space for approaching a yearwith the members unable to use it, I propose that we sell it. It is my understanding that the original proposal was for a fully functional lathe, as opposed to a project, so this seems a good reason to sell it.+>​Proposal and background: ​As the metal lathe has been in the space for approaching a year with the members unable to use it, I propose that we sell it. It is my understanding that the original proposal was for a fully functional lathe, as opposed to a project, so this seems a good reason to sell it.\\ 
 +>A lathe would be a fantastic addition to the space, and I would support using the proceeds of the sale to purchase a new/used but functional one. \\ 
 +>Russ has clearly put a lot of hard work into the lathe, so I don't mean to knock that in any way. However, I think this is a solution worth discussing at the members'​ meeting \\ 
 +>Alex has suggested we sell the lathe as described above. \\ 
 +>The purchase was via a competing proposal of an old vs new lathe. \\
  
-A lathe would be a fantastic addition to the space, and I would support using the proceeds of the sale to purchase a new/used but functional ​one+discussion about the lathe took place as a result a proposal get it into service by xmas was made at which point it will be reviewed at members meeting. \\ 
 +The emphasis on the work was to make it functional ​then tackle any outstanding non essential maintenance at a later date.  \\ 
 +Proposed review at Jan 2020 members meeting.\\  
 +Mark E Pitt offered to help RC lead the project\\
  
-Russ has clearly put a lot of hard work into the lathe, so I don't mean to knock that in any wayHowever, I think this is solution worth discussing at the members'​ meeting  +Vote shall we sell: \\ 
- +Yay: 2 \\ 
-(Directors, I assume this is the correct ​way of adding something to the agenda. If not, please let me knowCheers, Alex R)\\+Nay: Rejected\\ 
 +Working on it was accepted as a way forwards. \\
  
 ==== Ongoing projects ==== ==== Ongoing projects ====
 === CNC mill === === CNC mill ===
-Redoing ​the wiring to make it robust and last. \\ +Currently redoing ​the wiring to make it robust and last. \\ 
-The CNC mill milled a thing. \\ +The CNC mill milled a thing. ie it has been functional. \\ 
-Water leak fixed. \\ +Water leak has been fixed. \\ 
-Lockoutscope of operation discussed. \\  +Lockout ​of spindle motor and scope of operation discussed. \\  
-E-Stop discussed. ​  \\+E-Stop ​requirements ​discussed. ​  \\
 Get the mill operational then add extra features \\ Get the mill operational then add extra features \\
  
 === Metal lathe === === Metal lathe ===
-Alex has suggested we sell the lathe. \\ +As main topic above.\\
-The purchase was via a competing proposal old vs new lathe. \\ +
-Proposal get it into service by xmas at which point it will be reviewed. \\ +
-Review at Jan 2020 members meeting.\\  +
-Mark E Pitt offered to help RC. \\ +
- +
-Vote shall we sell: \\ +
-Yay: 2 \\ +
-Nay: Rejected. \\ +
-Working on it accepted as way forwards. \\+
  
 === PCB mill === === PCB mill ===
-Felix: Technically ignoring in preference to the main CNC mill. The PCB mill needs similar work to the CNC and it will be cost effective for parts and induction effort to have them the same etc and have both mills the same. \\ +Felix: Technically ignoring ​this project ​in preference to the main CNC mill.\\ 
-Scope of operation discussed. \\+The PCB mill needs similar work to the CNC Mill and it will be cost effective for parts and induction effort to have them the same etc 
 +As they require similar comissioning work ir was considered wise to finish one mill then repeat ​the effort on the second one. \\ 
 +Scope of operation ​and machine capability was discussed. \\
  
  
Line 96: Line 94:
  
 ==== Change to Stuff, Storage, and Stickers Guide ==== ==== Change to Stuff, Storage, and Stickers Guide ====
-We wish to change the following paragraph:+We wish to change the following paragraph:\\
  
 > Never leave your personal stuff out on the workbenches between visits. Stuff left on the benches can be considered fair game for hacking or disposal. Hackspace accepts no responsibility for loss of or damage to your stuff.\\ > Never leave your personal stuff out on the workbenches between visits. Stuff left on the benches can be considered fair game for hacking or disposal. Hackspace accepts no responsibility for loss of or damage to your stuff.\\
Line 108: Line 106:
 Passed. \\ Passed. \\
  
-Suggestion to make the phrase less wordy. To be discused ​next meeting.\\+Suggestion to make the phrase less wordy. To be discussed ​next meeting.\\
  
  
Line 126: Line 124:
  
 ==== Big CNC Router access ==== ==== Big CNC Router access ====
-Nic Marshall wants to officially loan the cnc router. To do this Hackspace will need to rent the space it sits on for insurance purposes (The floor space it needs is 2.8m x 3.3m, which is 9.24m2. I'm not sure how much we pay per m2, but think 9.24m2 is around £39 a month.)\\ +Background:​ 
 +Nic Marshall wants to officially loan the cnc router ​to the Hackspace. To do this Hackspace will need to rent the space it sits on for insurance purposes (The floor space it needs is 2.8m x 3.3m, which is 9.24m2. I'm not sure how much we pay per m2, but think 9.24m2 is around £39 a month.)\\
 One more thing to clarify is Nic's mezzanine space. He'll still need access to this. It'll be good to have in writing that Hackspace is cool with him keeping this space, which will be above a bit Hackspace rents.\\ One more thing to clarify is Nic's mezzanine space. He'll still need access to this. It'll be good to have in writing that Hackspace is cool with him keeping this space, which will be above a bit Hackspace rents.\\
-RC: Consider safety of storage on mezzanine space as it is above head height.\\ 
- 
 Once this is done, it just needs a card reader and emergency stop added on the booth and its ready to have some inductions to be sorted.\\ Once this is done, it just needs a card reader and emergency stop added on the booth and its ready to have some inductions to be sorted.\\
  
Line 136: Line 132:
  
 Hackspace spent £650 making the enclosure. \\ Hackspace spent £650 making the enclosure. \\
-Robert requires the fire safety officer to declare it is fire safe. ie a fire alarm. \\+Robert requires the fire safety officer to declare it is fire safe. ie a fire alarm installed and connected to main building. \\
 Hakspace may be liable for the cost of the alarm addition. \\  Hakspace may be liable for the cost of the alarm addition. \\ 
 Nik M would like to keep his mezzanine floor storage above the mill. \\  Nik M would like to keep his mezzanine floor storage above the mill. \\ 
-Would storage on top of the enclosure and below the mezzanine floor be hackspace\\+Would storage on top of the enclosure and below the mezzanine floor be hackspace ​or Nics? \\
 Felix: Some niggling problems to improve the presentation. ie The cooling system is shonky. \\ Felix: Some niggling problems to improve the presentation. ie The cooling system is shonky. \\
 +RC: Consider safety of storage on mezzanine space as it is above head height.\\
  
 What time scale for sorting above fire alarm and induction etc, ie time to make it actually useful to members. ? \\ What time scale for sorting above fire alarm and induction etc, ie time to make it actually useful to members. ? \\
Line 146: Line 143:
 Matt G: Who is going to be champion of it, is who is going to maintain and lead the proposals. \\ Matt G: Who is going to be champion of it, is who is going to maintain and lead the proposals. \\
 If interest is overall low for the mill it will automatically come under review as per the Lathe earlier in this meeting. \\ If interest is overall low for the mill it will automatically come under review as per the Lathe earlier in this meeting. \\
-Will we be able to hand it back in the future: Overall agreement it will be part of the deal\\+Will we be able to hand it back in the future: Overall agreement it will be part of the deal\\
  
-Vote is for PROVISIONALLY taking the mill on with condition as above for Robert approval etc. \\+Vote is for PROVISIONALLY taking the mill on with condition as above including ​Robert approval etc. \\
 Review potentially Jan Members meeting 2020 \\  Review potentially Jan Members meeting 2020 \\ 
 Yay: 6\\ Yay: 6\\
Line 156: Line 153:
 ==== AOB ==== ==== AOB ====
 Johnny T: Suggestion a noticeboard for Hackspace notices. \\ Johnny T: Suggestion a noticeboard for Hackspace notices. \\
-Light dust over everything on G10, people not uusing ​the dust extraction. \\+Light dust over everything on G10, people not using the dust extraction. \\
 Belt sander not being used with the extraction. \\ Belt sander not being used with the extraction. \\
 Tom G: Difficulty locating the member meeting details from the front page. \\ Tom G: Difficulty locating the member meeting details from the front page. \\
 Katja: Questioned the quorum numbers. In the past meetings have been well attended. \\ Katja: Questioned the quorum numbers. In the past meetings have been well attended. \\
-Better engagement would be better ​than reducing quorum numbers. \\ +Better engagement would be more advantageous ​than reducing quorum numbers. \\ 
-Remote voting with better chance to debate topics would serve the community. \\+Remote voting with better chance to debate topics would serve the community ​was discussed. \\
 Matt G Suggests a system to attract more proxy votes is needed. \\ Matt G Suggests a system to attract more proxy votes is needed. \\
  
 +Meeting ends.
  • botlab/openmeeting_20190910
  • Last modified: 5 weeks ago
  • by russell