Hackspace members' meeting 28 October 2014

  1. Tidy the Space Day
  2. Organising the Bike Space
  3. Does anyone know Dave the PC case man?
  4. Shall we advertise on Bristol Cable?
  5. Health & Safety including:
    1. Gangways
    2. Adequate operator area for fixed equipment and for associated onlookers
    3. Trailing extension leads near static power tools e.g the lathe & bandsaw
    4. Lack of fire extinguishers. We use flammable solvents near a hot extruder on the 3d printer, and are probably going to use paraffin or white spirit to clean cycle parts near the laser cutter.
  6. Network situation:
    1. Hosting provider - VPS (Barney)
    2. In-space network and server cupboard proposal (Barney and Alaric)

Barney L, Toby Seely, Matt, Nigel C, Jon D, David H, John D, John W, Russell D, Mike H, Toby Scott, Ed R, David W (minute-taker)

Apologies: Jamie Loudon, Richard Sewell, Russell

  • Tidy the Space day: (MV)
    • Date to be arranged - before Christmas party ⇒ end November
    • Need to do a tip run, probably - at the weekend it'll be quite busy ⇒ maybe sort things out for someone to take - various people volunteer to help transport stuff to the tip
    • Action: MV will make a Doodle for the date and email the list
    • When: decided to be a weekend daytime rather than evening - one day should do it given that it's fairly tidy at the moment
    • What to do on the day? Make a page on the wiki for members to add
    • Pillar drills: we have 2, DH says one was donated by UWE, the other is TSeely's - apparently Tarim has a use for one at the Pervasive Media Studios
    • Noted that Richard S and Jamie L offer to remove some of the equipment
  • Bike space organisation: (NC)
    • NC originally suggested this - he observed that many hackspace members are interested in bikes, but there isn't really enough space at the moment to do work on it so it would be a good use of the new space
    • Equipment needed: NC's spare bike stand, a bench and a vice - existing electronic equipment should suffice?
    • Hand tools: we probably have quite a bit, but we may need to buy some bike-specialist tools - NC estimates £50-£100 outlay
    • JW concerned about use of solvents near laser cutters etc.
    • Members present vote to spend £50 of Hackspace funds on tools - Action: NC to buy tools and reclaim
  • “Dave the PC case man” query (MV)
    • No-one knows who this is! To be traced through other avenues
  • Shall we advertise on Bristol Cable? (MV)
    • The Bristol Cable is a local newspaper that's just been set up - they'll be taking adverts in the next issue
    • Debate about whether we need new members - ~75 members for ~6months, jumped to 84 in Sept - but more members is good!
    • Having a bike space would be a good draw for people
    • Observed that Thursday nights are crowded, but the space is very sparsely used for the rest of the time
    • Out of the people here, what do people think? All (13) interested in principle in advertising, but need to know how much - Action: MV will find out how much and let the list know
  • Health and safety (JW)
    • Extension leads behind workshop machines is not desirable - but this should hopefully be covered by the G10 space reorganisation plans (see below)
    • Fire extinguishers: regulations say you have to have to have an evacuation plan and a way of putting out a fire - we don't have this! And we use a number of activities/processes/materials that would be flammable
    • JW suggests we should get a fire safety company to come round and propose what we'd need - would probably be CO2 extinguishers with need for annual service
    • Actions: JW offers to look into fire safety for us to establish what we'd need - MV will speak to building owner first to see what fire cover is provided as part of the premises
    • MH brought up the issue of gangways: in factories you need to leave a 4'-ish gangway for fire or other safety, whereas in here it's so crowded it would be difficult to evacuate if we had to (at least on a Thursday) - Action: he is happy to make some recommendations to be reviewed at a future meeting
    • Discussion about how to ensure gangways are available - might involve curtailing desk space, but this shouldn't be a problem if we were stricter about limiting occupation of desks by other objects!
    • Need a first aid kit in both rooms, and a system for replenishing it - Action: RD offers to acquire another first aid kit and replenish the existing one
    • Need a printed set of instructions so that we can describe to the emergency services where we are located in the event of a fire!
  • Network/hosting provider: (BL)
    • BL has arranged for a free VPS from Mythic Beasts
    • Actions: DW will arrange to pay XtreamLab for hosting for a year in advance from now - in the meantime BL will continue migrating our site to Mythic Beasts, hopefully to be finished well within a year
    • Problem with the wiki - Action: BL to talk to Patrick about this
  • Internal networking in the space: (BL)
    • BL and Alaric propose having an always-on server in the space in a segregated box - partly so it doesn't get turned off by mistake
    • Also for e.g. the switch, so we could install network points around the room…
    • JD offers a wall-mount rack case - will bring it down on a Thursday and/or send measurements/photo - might be useful to have a more adaptable case rather than a standard rack mount
    • BL has also been thinking about having our own internet connection like a domestic ADSL - probably needs building manager's permission ⇒ Action: MV to ask how he feels
  • AOB
    • Christmas Party: noted that a flagon of mead is already on the go! After the space-tidying meeting. Therefore, let's say Thursady 18 December. Action: MV will publicise.
    • Sockets on the wall in G10: all in favour in principle, cost £345.60 for the last batch of sockets - MV suggests also asking for a 25A breaker somewhere, but JW suggests it will be machine-dependent. Discussion about whether we need to do this now - conclusion that we won't. Action: MV to ask Robert about this.
    • Space organisation proposal:
      • Space immediately on the right after coming into the room will be turned into metalworking/bike space
      • Storage tower to move to the right of the sink?
      • Machining area towards the far end of the room - wood lathe, bandsaw, grinder etc - facing out into the room with a half-height screen in front of them to prevent flying chips/chuck keys
      • Replace one of the wooden benches with a Dyson bench, use it for the bike/general metalwork bench - Action: DW to liaise with NC about renting a van to get one to the space
      • Lasercutter extraction: Nic is working on this but is on holiday at the moment - all the parts are here, but no need for a working party as yet. Lasercutter staying where it is.
      • Good to put up shelves everywhere we can!
      • Projector screen - in front of some of the shelves
      • How to organise doing this? Email list, another meeting, wiki page? Probably start on the tidy-the-space day and see how far we go…
    • Buying tools… DH proposes and will look into it - Action: DH
    • TScott offers to upgrade the Hackspace PC to Ubuntu - Action: TScott
  • botlab/openmeeting_20141028
  • Last modified: 5 years ago
  • by dwyatt