BOTLab committee meeting, 21 February 2017

Date/time and location: 7pm, 21 February 2017 at the Hackspace

  • BV Studios communal workshop proposal
  • Arrangements and payments for inductions
  • Publicising AGM and committee vacancies
  • Laser cutter pledges
  • Opportunities for BOTLab development through Hilary Sudbury
  • AGM date
  • AA, TS, RD, IA-S, DW (minutes-taker)
  • Apologies: DH
  • BV Studios workshop
    • Action: RD to reply to Beth saying we're interested in being part of this but not in administering it - let's understand how much it would cost - could we make an arrangement like reduced rates for hackspace members, or a block contribution to buy a certain amount of access?
    • IS: Need to review with members before actually becoming a member of it
  • Arrangements and payments for inductions
    • RD: Remembers the issue of paying for inductions was previously discussed in meetings. Unsure when.
    • Joe Dusta offers to do weekly inductions on laser cutter for up to 4 people to work through backlog. IS: maybe regular induction slots e.g. every 2 months? JD: prefers ad-hoc scheduling. IS: prefers to have more inductors. JD: caution - has observed inducted users making mistakes. JD: doesn't think charging for time matches up with Hackspace ethos.
    • RD: risk of inductees not turning up to be inducted - a pain if inductors have travelled far. TS: Maybe make people pay a nominal amount to discourage no-shows like for skillshares, all money could go to hackspace. AA: nominal £5 amount? DW: Doodle vs Eventbrite are different platforms, one for arranging a time for unscheduled events, the other for selling tickets to scheduled events. IS: Email inductees the day before to confirm they're coming? JD: prefers minimum-effort solution.
    • Plan: JD to set up Eventbrite, IS happy to do “admin” on Google Groups to put people who want inductions in touch.
    • DW: How much? JD proposes £5 each, to pay for a round of mirrors and lenses. IS: £10 each. (Always to the hackspace.)
    • DW: Straw man: don't charge anything for inductions, in order to make accessible to any members. AA: Maybe just have a caveat that if people don't feel they can pay £10 then get in touch. DW agrees, JD agrees.
    • AA: run out of cards for issuing to people who don't have Hackspace cards - we should get some more. Action: TS will order some.
    • Does this need to be approved by members? IS: Only NM's proposal about charging for inductions.
    • JD: Can we keep money from laser cutter money separate? IS: Not at present, don't have the capacity.
    • IS: If individual members own tools, they are entitled to charge for them as they see fit.
    • RD: more inductors for 3d printer? IS: Chris Lynas has expressed interest.
    • IS: Approach: keep it voluntary as inductor.
  • AGM
    • AA: Agenda AGM? DW: from constitution: Accounts, directors' report (IS: we should do this, highlight what we've done and what's next to do), appointment of new directors
    • TS: Describe roles for new people - maybe have roles that are not directors as such but are responsibility-oriented, to get people to get involved and reduce workload on directors
    • JD: maybe have food during the meeting - IS: between AGM and members' meeting
    • Directors: DH, RD and DW will stand down. One of AA, TS and IS will stand for reelection by drawing straws on the night.
    • Voting system: previous was viewed as undemocratic.
      • IS: Option: list of names, minimum of 2 required, ???
      • Another: approval voting for each candidate individually - doesn't control over number of people on committee
      • JD: flow-on voting if you know how many roles there are
      • JD: gauge interest via email? DW: deciding on
      • Conclusion (IS): Ask people to stand for election. Looking for 4 people minimum. If ⇐4 people stand, block approval vote. If >4 people stand, STV. Both cases secret ballot. Action: TS to design a ballot paper.
    • Date: 14 March 2017 [subsequently moved to 28 March]. IS cannot attend.
    • Accounts: DW to liaise with accountants to get these prepared.
  • Publicising committee roles
    • Arthur has drafted a new email for the newsletter list. Action: DW to send AA list of members' email addresses.
  • Laser cutter pledge payments and billing
    • AA has tabulated users' usage, DW has tallied pledges against bank transactions. Only 2 anomalies between amount pledged and amount received: one has been resolved and in the other case we'll just assume the user only paid the amount that came through to the bank account, not the amount they pledged.
    • Next billing round? AA: every 6months to 1yr given current usage rates.
  • Opportunities for BOTLab development through Hilary Sudbury
    • DH has sent details of what Hilary's organisation can provide. To be discussed subsequently.
  • AOB
    • IS: DH strongly suggests that we should find out the liability of directors under different circumstances
  • botlab/meeting_20170221
  • Last modified: 2 years ago
  • by dwyatt