BOTLab committee meeting 12 April 2016

  • G10 rental consolidation and business rates (DW)
  • Definition of what constitutes consumables (RD)
  • Petty cash system - how should it work? (DW)
  • Consumables purchase process (DW)
  • Insurance (TS)
  • Revisit adding BOTLab directors to the bank account
  • Hackspace Database update on progress
  • Health and Safety reporting
  • Hackspace running:- equipment left on
  • Monitoring usage/identifying wrongdoers/imposing penalties for non-compliance with agreed rules
  • 3 phase power/inverter proposals - more sockets
  • Lasercutter update
  • Arrangement of space:
  • Clear access ways
  • Availability of further space? Do we want to take it?
  • Availability of kiln? Do we want to take it?
  • Review of other Proposals awaiting agreement
  • Any other plans for the year ahead:
  • Upcoming events
  • Arranging Inductions - requesting/scheduling
  • David W, David H, Toby S, Russell D, Ian S.

Apologies from Arthur Amarra

  • Business rates on G10. We currently get rate relief on the main G11 space. However, we are liable for rates for our half of G10. This is because each unit in BV Studios is a separate unit, and you can only claim rate relief on your primary unit. Additionally, we have been charged the full rateable value for the whole of G10 for the first quarter of 2016; £439.87. Committee voted on this, and agreed to pay this bill (5 in favour, 1 absent). Bristol Council say they will refund this if we can provide the documentation (rental contract) to show we only are responsible for half of this; we'll look into the current rental contract situation. Going forward, Nic M will claim rate relief on his half of G10, and we will pay rates on our half; about £70 per month - there is no other legal way of doing this. This may also mean we need to get formal rental contracts with Robert, and may mean we need to rent the whole of G10, and sub-let to Nick (or vice versa). Actions: DW pays bill from hackspace account, contact council to formalise rates situation.
  • Consumables. Proposal for consumables paid for by the hackspace: Maintain a list on wiki of components that the hackspace will pay for without requiring formal proposal (John Willis has created a list already). Members buy components, and get refunded by hackspace. Items can be added to/removed from the list, at the quarterly members meeting. Upper limits on how much (price/quantity) to be considered. Action: take forward to members meeting for discussion/acceptance. Delegate sections of the list to specialists.
  • Petty cash. Proposal: Petty cash box has a float of £20. This will generally be checked/replenished at regular intervals. This is available for 'tiny' purchases, eg a couple of pounds. Anything on the consumables list (which will include tea and coffee!) can be bought with this. Receipts for purchases must be put in the cash box. Action: confirm with membership at members meeting.
  • Donation box. Proposal: To be replaced with a fixed and locked version. Action: approved by committee. Toby S to source box.
  • Insurance. Toby S has found another broker, who is dealing with other hackspaces insurance needs. They have proposed a policy that has less onerous stipulations. Quote is reasonable, as is the terms. Action: Three quotes will be circulated in the next week, for director approval. Special caveats may be required for the large lathe, and possibly other dangerous equipment.
  • Bank account. Action: Ian S and Arthur A to contact bank; they should resend a letter to authorise access.
  • Database. Russell D showed the progress on the hackspace database. Progress is steady. Action: Russell D and Arthur A to continue good work!
  • Lasercutter update. Laser cutter usage database: Network updated to provide to improve functionality, now waiting on new integration and accessing the data. Action: continue good work!

Committee will reconvene for a further meeting, 19th April, to consider the following:

  • Health and Safety reporting
  • Hackspace running:- equipment left on
  • Monitoring usage/identifying wrongdoers/imposing penalties for non-compliance with agreed rules (to membership)
  • 3 phase power/inverter proposals - more sockets (TBC after open weekend)
  • Arrangement of space:
  • Clear access ways
  • Availability of further space? Do we want to take it?
  • Availability of kiln? Do we want to take it?
  • Review of other Proposals awaiting agreement
  • Any other plans for the year ahead:
  • Upcoming events
  • Arranging Inductions - requesting/scheduling
  • Electricity bill?

BOTLab committee meeting, part 2 - 19 April 2016

  • Consumables. Budget of £1000, or £20 per week. We should try not to exceed this. Members who buy consumables can be repaid by petty cash (if available) or bank transfer. Action: confirm arrangements for consumables at members meeting.
  • Health and Safety reporting. Concerns raised by member about formally raising health and safety issues. Action: Wiki has been updated to include information about reporting issues (email or talk to committee members). Accident book to be installed next First Aid Kit in G10 and G11. Health and safety officer needed (insurance issue)? DW to check.
  • Equipment left on. Relating to heaters under main desk. DW suggests 30-minute timers on heaters, soldering irons, etc. Action: DW to create proposal. Agreed unanimously by committee.
  • Monitoring usage/identifying wrongdoers/imposing penalties for non-compliance with agreed rules. Discussion about how to formalise hackspace membership, and make it feel more inclusive, eg new member agreement form, membership card, membership fee. Many issues in this area, to be put to the members meeting.
  • 3 phase power/inverter proposals. Action: contact Robert after BV Studios open weekend, relates to formalising rental contract.
  • Arrangement of space - Clear access ways. Has been implemented with yellow tape.
  • Arrangement of space - further space. In principle, and in time, we may want more space, either in BV Studios or in a new building. As far as we know, there's no more available at present in BV Studios. Weldtech proposal has fallen through (too much money). Action: monitor situation. Follow possible leads with Bristol council.
  • Kiln. Committee generally opposed to kiln, on grounds of size, space required, fumes and extraction, health and safety, insurance. However, we'll put it to the members at the members meeting.
  • Proposals: Chemical cabinet - approved by committee. Action: find cabinet
  • Electricity bill. Action: ask Penny for a meter reading for G11. Contact Eon to progress.
  • Insurance. Still waiting on quotes.
  • Formalise rental arrangements with Robert for G10 and G11, and any sub-let space Gareth/Nic. (after BV Studio open day)
  • Age limits on hackspace use/membership, specifically related to insurance. (Waiting on reply from insurer).
  • Monitoring hackspace usage/whosin. PIR sensor, or escalate to webcam?
  • Identifying transgressors. Encourage membership contribution. Also, see above.
  • Imposing penalties. Relates to formalising hackspace membership, and ability to impose some penalty.
  • Kiln?
  • The year ahead: EMF camp, Bristol MakerFaire (set a brief).
  • botlab/meeting_20160412
  • Last modified: 3 years ago
  • by ginjaian